Monday, January 1, 2007

Ham on the menu again


My first cooking attempt for 2007 and I'm still not sure about this one - I didn't have enough of some ingredients and kept adding other ingredients. No-one complained and everyone ate it, even son #3 who had his later because he was asleep at dinner time (after-effects of new year's eve celebrations). But I'm still not sure about it.....



The original recipe:
Ham, carrot and snake bean stir-fry (Donna Hay, Dec 06 magazine)
Serves 4

2 Tbs vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed (I used minced garlic)
2 tsp finely grated ginger (I used minced garlic)
300g snake beans, trimmed and blanched (Have you seen the price of snake beans?! I used baby beans but didn't have enough)
16 baby carrots, peeled and blanched (the baby carrots were rather large so I cut them into thirds)
400g sliced leg ham, chopped
1 cup basil leaves
1/2 cup roasted cashews
1/4 cup oyster sauce
2/3 cup chicken stock
sea salt and cracked black pepper
4 spring onions, sliced
I also added:
a handful of sliced mushrooms
handful snow peas

Heat a large wok over high heat. Add the oil, garlic and ginger and cook for 30secs or until the garlic is fragrant. Add the beans, carrots and ham (and mushrooms, snowpeas) and cook for a further 3-4mins. Add the basil, cashews, oyster sauce, stock, salt and pepper and cook for another 2-3mins. Top with the spring onion.




This is a photo of my favourite salad and it is soooo easy to make.

1/3pkt Woolworths 4 seasons coleslaw mix
100g marinaded cooked chicken (I use Honey, soy and garlic marinade)
25 macadamias
20g crispy noodles
1 Tbs Free Honey soy salad dressing
1 Tbs Free coleslaw dressing

Mix it all together and eat! I love it.

No comments: