Monday, December 25, 2006

Xmas Day and toooo much food!

It was a late night (mainly surfing the net) and by the time I got to bed it was well after midnight. So consequently I really didn't went to get up early this morning and luckily because the kids are older, I didn't have to!

Once I did get up, after a fortifying cup of black coffee, it was a case of rounding up everyone to unwrap presents. I think everyone was pleased with what they received - a major feat in our household!

In my case I received some really great presents:
  • Every Day cookbook by Bill Granger
  • Cook with Jamie by Jamie Oliver
  • Instant Entertaining by Donna Hay
  • Irresistible Italy by Bill & Patsy Rowe
  • Luscious Chocolate Desserts by Lori Longbotham (chocolate recipes to die for)
  • An apron and pot holder
  • Recipe stand
  • Blender
  • earrings and pendant
  • butterfly brooch
  • electric toothbrush
  • cat calendar

So I will be cooking up a storm in 2007! Well that's my intention anyway.

After making egg and bacon muffins for the family for breakfast, I then got busy preparing lunch. Luckily I had done some of the preparation the night before but even so the time went really quickly and I was getting worried, thinking we might be eating lunch late in the afternoon.

Our Xmas lunch menu:
  • salt and pepper prawns with lemongrass mayonnaise (from Good Taste magazine, Dec issue)
  • Corn fritters
  • Cold ham, turkey and chicken
  • Potato salad made with baby potatoes and roasted garlic mayonnaise
  • Crunchy coleslaw salad with macadamias and cashews and crispy noodles
  • Rice salad with roasted vegies (sweet potato, pumpkin, capsicum and onion) (Donna Hay magazine, Dec issue, a Sunrice recipe)
  • Mini Xmas puddings (this batch turned out much better than the first lot I made)
  • Fruit & nut mini cakes (these turned out ok; not too dry)
  • Mixed nuts and Xmas lollies
I had also made an icecream Xmas pudding to have with chocolate sauce but I think that will be left for another day, along with the fruit mince pies and tropical fruit salad.

So that was Xmas for another year. Tomorrow morning I will be running 25km with a few hills thrown in for good measure. I'm going to need it!

2 comments:

Tesso said...

I wasn't 100% sure this was you CJ, so many girls love chocolate and coffee. Then I read the bit about running 25k :-)

CJ said...

Yay - its me! I'm exploring my newfound love of cooking which means I am going to do a helluva lot more running! My family love me at the moment!